Friday, April 12, 2019

Celebrating Failure

This semester, I took a chemistry exam and failed it miserably. Out of fifteen questions, I only got five correct. I studied for this exam, but only for three days prior to taking it. I learned that three days is clearly not enough study time to be successful. If I would’ve studied a little each day, rather than cramming, I could’ve gotten a much better grade.  I’ve learned this lesson several times throughout my academic career, however, this time I really became aware of how unproductive my study habits are. If I can’t pass chemistry, I won’t be able to complete my major. I don’t think it’s healthy to focus too much on possible failure, but then again it can be motivating. In my case, the fear of failure motivated me to try harder on the next exam, which I ended up getting a B on. This class has helped me to see failure as a motivator, and has also inspired me to take more risks.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Grace,
    I've definitely struggled with the same problem with classes before. Sometimes you don't realize how much you need to study for in a course to be successful. Although it is discouraging when you fail your exams, it is something to learn from and you are able to bounce back and do better on the next exam. Failure makes you want to work harder and succeed more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,

    I think we all can relate to not doing well on a test or waiting till the last minute, so definitely don't be too hard on yourself. I think whats important here, is you were able to recognize how your study efforts may need to be better which resulted in you doing much better on your next test. Its good for us to recognize our problems in order to fix them as simple as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have failed several exams and you can't let them get you down. For some reason, whenever I take the first exam of a class I do very poorly. This means I have to work extra hard on the upcoming exams. I do not let the first exam make me feel too bad and I use it as a motivator to succeed on future tests.

    ReplyDelete