Friday, February 22, 2019

Reading Reflection No. 1

Steve Jobs was a visionary and one of the most important entrepreneurs of the twenty-first century. He created the apple cult that we all know and some love. The thing I admire most about Jobs, after reading his biography, is that he wasn’t after money. Despite becoming filthy rich, his motivation was to “make great products.” He had a genuine passion for creating valuable products. Something I don’t admire about Jobs, though, was his style of communication. He tended to be brutally honest and even harsh at times. Although this was a way to drive excellence in his company, I believe anything you want to achieve can be reached through kindness. The most surprising thing I read in his biography was that Jobs was booted out of his own company by a man he hired. This was probably his biggest “failure” in the process of creating the apple empire. He eventually took back over and made his epic comeback.

I would narrow Jobs’ three top competencies down to preparation, determination, and showmanship. Jobs obsessed over all the tiny details of product design. He was always extremely prepared, especially for sale calls.  He was determined to accomplish his goals, and always found a way to take his company to the next level. Above all else, though, Jobs was an incredible showman. His presentations inspired the world and allowed him to sell millions of devices. 

I didn’t find anything confusing in the biography, however, I do think it’s odd that Steve Jobs wasn’t a very kind person. I didn’t know him but I didn’t picture him as being a rude person. If I could ask him a couple questions I would first ask where he saw the future of apple going. Since he was constantly coming up with new ideas, I’m curious to know what he might’ve been planning. Also, because space seems to be a big interest for companies nowadays, I would ask him if he saw Apple creating some kind of space technology. I think Jobs believed hard work and determination were necessary to achieve greatness, and I would agree. 

3 comments:

  1. Great Sheehan. Apple and steve jobs have been a success due to jobs attention to detail and precision everything he makes he makes ure every single detail is correct and that has made his products so unique. His showman ship is also superb and his following has been created on his personality as well as his ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah Steve Jobs is one of the entrepreneurs that have inspired. Knowing where he came from and how hard he had to work in order to get where he is now, you can say that hard work and believing in yourself will always pay off. All i can say is that he is an inspiration for all of us and reading about him was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve Jobs was such an interesting and inspiring person. He was a great entrepreneur that was creative and hardworking. I also admire that Jobs was not after money and his motivation was to make great products. He was determined and prepared to work hard to achieve his goals. Although I read about other entrepreneurs, I think I would enjoy reading this book as well.

    ReplyDelete