The main argument in this book is that it doesn’t matter how many times you’ve failed, you can still be successful. The author, Scott Adams, had gone through many jobs and failed startups. He didn’t give up, though, and that resilience paid off when he created the famous Dilbert office cartoon.
This book talked a lot about taking risks and seeking opportunities, which connects with what we’ve been learning in class.
If I had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book, it would be a series of “idea napkin” exercises. They would be short and timed to allow for plenty of mistakes. You would get to choose each time whether you want to revise your previous idea or start fresh. The main idea of the exercise would be that making mistakes is part of the process of becoming successful.
When I first read the title, I thought this book was going to be about finding success after failing many times. It is, but it focuses more on staying motivated and happy through the failures. The biggest surprise to me in this book was the perspective of the author, which wasn’t what I expected.
I really like that the main idea of your exercise would be that making mistakes is a part of learning to become successful. I also agree with you that the book does encourage taking risks and seeking opportunities in entrepreneurship like it is recommended in this course.
ReplyDeleteI read this book before too and I really loved it. I think it was super compelling and really was the things an entrepreneur needed to hear. Im glad you got stuff out of it!
ReplyDeleteI didnt get the read this book, but from reading your post the book sounds like a good read. Your idea for making an assignment like the idea napkin assignment i think is great to relate what you learned from the book into an assignment.
ReplyDeleteVery Interesting. I did not read it, but I can tell how amazing it is. Also, I believe in persistence, and that a failure will only make you stronger. I will definitely check it out and learn from it as well. I always enjoy reading books that motivate me, and push me to not give up on my goals.
ReplyDelete